MitonOptimal South Africa is a part of fast growing MitonOptimal Group of companies, an independent multi-asset investment manager, which is majority-owned by its management and directors. We are focussed on delivering Advisory, Fund Management and Asset Consulting Services across Africa and the globe.
As a Group of companies, we employ over 60 staff across offices in South Africa, Guernsey, United Kingdom, the Isle of Man and Singapore. With combined assets under management of over US$750m, our highly experienced investment team has been investing MitonOptimal client money for over 15 years. We offer a broad range of investment services, portfolio models and funds to our clients, via well-established and regulated distribution channels across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
Established in 2002 by Scott Campbell, the Group’s Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer, it provides a broad range of collective investment schemes and Discretionary Fund Management (DFM) services that cater for a wide spectrum of independent financial advisers, family offices and institutional clients around the globe.
Our primary services are as an Investment Manager and Fund Manager, and the common denominator across all of our products and services is Global Multi-Asset Management.
Our investment philosophy is unashamedly simple, ‘diversification, through unconstrained global asset allocation, within an absolute mindset’.
A True Partnership
Early on in the RDR process, we identified the importance of building strong, long-lasting business relationships with key partners as the way forward. As a discretionary investment manager, MitonOptimal partners with financial planners who recognise the importance of the investment function and the long-term benefit of sharing that responsibility with investment specialists; freeing the financial planner to focus on the client relationship and other aspects of their business, thereby delivering further value to their clients.
What DFM services do we deliver?
- We construct, monitor, manage and review both local portfolios.
- We construct both Regulation 28 compliant & discretionary portfolios.
- We research asset classes and make strategic and tactical asset allocation decisions within your model on your behalf.
- We research and select active and or passive fund managers and products, after conducting a full due diligence. We perform in-depth analysis of any company considered for investment purposes, as well as all custodians and trustees involved. We analyse the fund manager, the team and the mandate of the fund being considered for inclusion in your model portfolio. We strongly believe in meeting fund managers face to face before investing.
- Due diligence is monitored on an ongoing basis, to ensure continued compliance. We also continue to monitor the managers, their team and their ongoing compliance with their specified mandate. It is important that we understand what a fund manager is doing and the reasons behind it at all times.
- Due to the fast moving nature of the global market, we do not believe that a static asset allocation will ultimately provide optimal portfolio returns. As a result, we work to add value to your model portfolio, via dynamic strategic and tactical asset allocation over time.
- At MitonOptimal, we will also look to add value, focusing on shorter term trends, via tactical asset allocation. Please note that MitonOptimal is not a trading house. Our positions are a ‘buy and hold’ strategy, with a tactical overlay to add value to your portfolio.
- We ensure that all holdings within your model portfolio compliment each other, to achieve ultimate portfolio optimisation. maximum return for the minimum amount of risk assumed.
- We provide full administrative support in the set-up, implementation and ongoing management of the portfolios at the respective Linked Investment Service Providers (Lisps).
- We provide quarterly reports offering the market, manager and portfolio commentary.
- Global Expertise & Presence.
- Proponents of Active Asset Allocation.
- Long-term Local and Offshore Track Record.
- Interactive / Partnership Process with Carrick: In-House Investment Committee.
- Tailored Portfolios for Carrick clients.
- Absolute Return Portfolio Philosophy – easy to understand and to manage client
- IFA can spend more time servicing clients – no need to do the research.
The Investment Team
|Scott Campbell - Group Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer||Roeloff Horne - Director and Head of Portfolio Management (SA)|
|Joanne Baynham CA, CFA - Director, Head of Investment Strategy||Simon Morrison CFA - Head of Quantitative Research and Portfolio Manager|
|Andy Pfaff - Commodities Fund Manager||James Downie - Head of Institutional Asset Consulting|
|Oscar de Waal - Head of Multi-Asset Manager Research||Marissa Smit - Portfolio Administrator|